[Bioclusters] RE: non linear scale-up issues?

David Gayler bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 10 May 2004 19:36:57 -0500

Thanks for the feedback,

I am aware of United Devices. They seem to have a very good solution and it
is multi-platform too. I am interested in any pain points you have with
their or similar technology? Are there features or functionality you would
like to see that are missing, specifically geared towards bioinformatics
research?

If I understand you, you are saying that this is a good example of where
grid technology is delivering on the promise. It is pretty clear that when
the problem is 'embarrassingly parallel', enterprise grid (cycle stealing)
solutions (like UD's) can be an intelligent way to use one's current IT
infrastructure investment. I guess what I am looking for is what could be
made better.

Also, what do you mean by standards folks? Are you talking about Globus
Toolkit and its ever evolving architecture (now mainly web-service based)?
What do you see as the threat with this?

IMHO, MPI is just fine for clusters with good links where security is of no
or little concern, however it really isn't made for loosely coupled networks
and cycle stealing scenarios. It certainly never has had security in mind.
These are the kind of things that, if not baked into the technology, can
turn your Grid nodes into a security risk and ultimately a bunch of zombies
waiting to be used for a DDOS attack or worse. Once that happens, trying to
trust or even keep your Grid could be a tough political battle.

On Sun, 9 May 2004, Rayson Ho wrote:

> UD: http://www.grid.org/stats/
>
> 325,033 years of CPU time collected

he he :-)  Rayson knows his stuff, as do United Devices.  You will not see
mpi any where near this 300k+ CPU years.  Good point.

> BOINC: http://boinc.berkeley.edu

This looks great.  Classic 'grid hype' this certainly is not.  Good stuff.
Thanks for sending on the link, I really hope that the standards folk keep
the hell away from this.  If they do it may have a real chance...

Best regards,

J.

--
James Cuff, D. Phil.
Group Leader, Applied Production Systems