[Bioclusters] Question about grid

Dan Bolser bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 13 May 2004 14:57:52 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Arnon Klein wrote:

>That's a really exciting concept, but why stop at dedicated cpu-service
>servers? Why not harness P2P into this, where each client has the
>ability both to donate cycles and use other people's cycles.
>I can see this benefitting organisations such as universities, where
>there is a lot of unuesed desktop power, and many people who need that
>power, but for short periods only, so didn't get dedicated facilities.

Right! I was strugling with the problem of how to include non web server
machines in the system (behind firewall, not running a webserver, on the
same lan as the webserver). If the webserver could privatly talk to
'internal' nodes (via intranet), it could then expose this via its
internet connection.

Cool idea!

>So imagine running these servers/client hybrids, that accept code (in
>binary, bytecode, or source code format), on anywhere between thousands
>to millions of computers...
>If the code is self-contained, then the bandwidth and latency issues are
>not as big as they would be for small chunks of instructions. I think
>that even with very fast networks, latencies will kill the benefits when
>scaling into something larger than a single LAN segment, so to avoid it,
>you have to batch the instructions together (i.e. send complete functions).

I see, so the 'calculator' as I describe it could be an actuall
programming language? Sending code is all well and good, but it adds the
complexity which I want to remove.

However, if you could 'install' your code 'on-the-web' (i.e. standard
packages exposed on a server), then we could all use the same code /
distribute code (packages) in P2P environment.

Hmm...

>Doing this in Java is actualy pretty easy, since RMI lets you transport
>an object containing both code and data over the network.
>You put up a server, exposing a method such as:
>
>interface Computable {
>	public Object compute() throws Exception;
>}
>
>public Object compute(Computable job) throws RemoteException;
>
>and using the Java RMI facilities, call this method on the server with
>an object that implements a method called "compute" that does the
>computation.
>
>Ofcourse , like you said, security and accounting issues will pose
>problems for a wide-spread installation.

This is the problem with sending code again, and why existing grid
projects are quite complex (as I understand them).

If you send low level code, security and accounting are not a problem. You
just have to deal with load balancing, client selection etc..

Thanks for your comments,

Dan.