[Bioclusters] Advice:Several Linux Clusters and FLEXLM

Steve bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:49:43 -0400

2 cents on flexlm servers.
We are moving our flexlm servers to a single virtual system. If you have
had the hastle of transfering multiple flexlm licenses to another server
because of a NIC card or system dying, you will know why.

Using VMWARE ESX (you may be able to do the same with GSX or WS, but we
are using ESX in other areas), you can assign a MAC address to the
virutal NIC-use this MAC address for all your flexlm licenses. If the
first system dies, you just "fire-up" a clone of the virtual system, MAC
address and all.
If you want get real fancy, stick the ESX image file on a SAN fie system
and have a second physical box standing by to launch the virtual server
automatically (Veritas clustering combined with VMOTION).

You could also edit the MAC address on the liniux system if the NIC
driver allows it, and not have to use VMWARE at all?

Steve