[Bioclusters] Xserve G5 memory

bioclusters@bioinformatics.org bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 14:18:44 -0400

Hello

I believe one way you can do what you desire is to "PIN" the oracle =
procedures into your memory and force oracle to make them memory =
resident..
Also, possibly increase the SGA oracle instance size on your troublesome =
box..
Either way talk to your local DBA
Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: bioclusters-admin@bioinformatics.org
[mailto:bioclusters-admin@bioinformatics.org]On Behalf Of Juan Carlos
Perin
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 1:10 PM
To: bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Subject: [Bioclusters] Xserve G5 memory

I have been running benchmarks with blastall on several different =
machines.
We've come to realize that one of the biggest differences affecting =
search
times is how the machines actually maintain the search databases in =
memory.

Eg..  On our IBM 8-way machine, the databases are held in the memory, =
which
seems to be an effect of the architecture of the machine, and search =
times
become incredibly fast after an initial run, which stores the database =
in
memory.  The same effect seems to take place on our Dual Xeon Dell (PE
1650), which also outpaces the Xserves significantly after an initial =
run to
populate the db in  memory.

It would appear the the Xserves dump the db from memory after each =
search,
even when submitting batch jobs with multiple sequences in a file.  Is
anyone aware of how this functions, and how this effect might be changed =
allow the db to stay in memory longer?  Thanks

Juan Perin
Child. Hospital of Philadelphia