[Bioclusters] sensitivity & blast

L. Mui lmui at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 7 03:35:33 EDT 2005

Chris and Pam,

Thanks for your insights in the emails.

About what we are trying to do: we are trying to select 70mer DNA oligos for
microarrays.  We try to select the "best" oligo set which (1) minimizes
cross-hybridization with non-self seq in genome while (2) maximizing target
binding.

The troubling point which led to my earlier question is:

(1) from results based on feeding query sequences of varying length to
blastall, we select 70mers based on the 2 goals above

(2) when we feed the 70mers into blastall again, we get different HSP's when
the e-value is fixed at the default 10.

>From your feedbacks, to remove the dependence on the input size, setting the
"-Y" value seems to be a sensible approach.  Won't this restriction of
search space reduce the prob of finding the best HSPs?

Also: because we know the expect E value depends on (kmn)(exp(-Ls)), why not
find a base E for a given query length, and then vary the (-e) value by mE ?

Chris, you mentioned that there are other tools we should look at.  Please
advice on this.

                  Lik