[Bioclusters] Re: Login & home directory strategies for PVM?

Michael Gutteridge mgutteri at fhcrc.org
Fri Feb 25 14:51:56 EST 2005

Thanks... been thinking about local homes vs. pvfs since I don't really
need anything but .bashrc.  However, managing local home directores on
62+ nodes gets boring after a while...  I rather prefer the idea of
running pvm as you indicate, but I haven't had any luck finding out how
to do this- do you have a pointer to something that describes that?  I
can't even pull together a good google term to find out how that's
typically done.

I will very likely end up using pvfs for database directories if I can
make it robust enough, though.  Sounds like pvfs2 has some great
improvements in that area.

> Lastly, you can port to mpich on a bproc system like Scyld, and get
> rid of
> pvmd's altogether.

 From my conversations with the developers, sounds like a port to MPI is
underway.