[Bioclusters] Need some advice on a cluster for EST/cDNA assembly, clustering

Michael Chute chutem at nmrc.navy.mil
Fri Feb 25 15:23:55 EST 2005

We have a Xserve G4/G5 Cluster running iNquiry from the bioteam.  We
really like it.  What we find best about it is that the average
Scientist is able to admin the cluster without much if any IT help.  I
think ultimately it boils down to your needs.  We needed a
bioinformatics cluster that is easy to use, easy to run, easy to set up,
and the workgroup cluster gives that to us at a very nice pricepoint.
We haven't had any issue with it at all, and we have received fantastic
support from both the Bioteam and Apple.  I would recommend it as highly
as possible.  It really is a true turnkey solution.  Again the real
advantage that we see is the ease of administration, not only of the
informatics side with iNquiry, but on the OS and Hardware side with OSX
server and Xserve/Xserve RAID.  My personal opinion is that for the
price, ease and power it can't be beat.

iNquiry has a Linux package as well, we chose OSX/Xserve for ease of use.