[Bioclusters] Need some advice on a cluster for EST/cDNA assembly, clustering

Michael Maibaum mike at maibaum.org
Sat Feb 26 09:04:03 EST 2005

On 25 Feb 2005, at 21:05, Joe Landman wrote:

> The other big issue is the 64 bit issue.  What is the status of OSX as
> a 64 bit
> OS, and can the tools see more than 4 GB of ram?  This is not an issue
> under
> x86_64 linux, and I presume it will not be under Yellow dog linux,
> though I
> would find it strange that people might buy an apple to run something
> other than
> OSX.  I never had time to answer these questions, and they may or may
> not be
> relevant for the work.

For Panther as far as userland tools are concerned, it is a 32 bit OS
(i.e. each process can access up to 4GB of RAM, but no more, without
the usual 32bit tricks).

For Tiger - most stuff you'd want to run on a cluster will be 64bit.
That is the kernel and most userland tools will be 64 bit, however most
'high level' toolkits (e.g. Cocoa) will still be 32bit. I don't see
many Carbon/Cocoa apps being run on a cluster needing large memory
spaces, so that probably doesn't matter :)

cheers

Michael