[Bioclusters] Need some advice on a cluster for EST/cDNA assembly, clustering

Elia Stupka elia at tigem.it
Sun Feb 27 15:59:09 EST 2005

>  Future revs of publically available Opteron boards will be able to go
> a bit higher than 32 GB (8GB/CPU).  IBM's units are based on an MSI
> motherboard, and last I checked, IBM still sees a limited role for
> Opteron's in it's lineup.

Definitely, we just went through a quote with them, we asked for
Opterons, they sent us a quote of under-spec'ed and over-priced
Opterons, and super-spec'ed and under-priced Xeons and Power5s ;)

> Sun is offering 2 way and 4 way today.

That's what we'll probably end up getting, 4-way Sun Opteron, we got
two 2-way Sun Opterons and they are very neat.

> Same with HP.

HP recently announced blade Opterons, we are waiting for the
quote/specs.

> Some of the smaller vendors are offering real 8-way units today (2
> Iwill or Arima MB's joined with a hypertransport HTX link or similar).
>  Very interesting stuff is coming in the near future from a number of
> vendors in this space.  Saw some amazing stuff at SC04 (not the stuff
> on the show floor).

Sounds interesting, will wait to see... I wonder how the new IBM 8-way
Cell Processor (which is meant to go up 64-way) will cope with
bioinformatics applications...

Elia