[Bioclusters] Versions of Blast that run on a cluster?

Malay mbasu at mail.nih.gov
Wed Jan 5 10:34:31 EST 2005

Joe Landman wrote:
> Daniel.G.Roberts at aventis.com wrote:
>
>> Hello All
>> Can anyone point me to example/FAQ resources on BLAST implemented on a
>> Linux Cluster?

It depends on your blast job. There are two ways to accelerate:

If you have thousand of sequences then the best way is to have a
dedicated NFS server running of gigabit LAN and each node with ample
amount of RAM. Use NCBI blast through a good job scheduler like SGE and
throw each sequences as a separte blast job with BLAST database shared
over Gigabit LAN. From day to day experience I can say a routine NFS
mount can use around ~250 sequences at a time.

If you have very few sequences and want to just run a single job as fast
as possible, the best way is to split the database. mpiBLAST is best
known for that or you can even use your own custom script. Remember that
it will screw up the BLAST statistics.

-Malay
mbasu(at)ncbi.nlm.nih.gov