[Bioclusters] Cluster ideas/suggestions

Micha Bayer michab at dcs.gla.ac.uk
Thu Jan 13 11:07:17 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 15:54, Nick D'Angelo wrote:
> Thank you Micha.
>
> Just so I am clear on this, do I need to migrate to Biobrew or can I run
> Condor on my current three machines (FC2) to achieve the same thing - a
> cluster of machines running blast queries and Clusa1W?

No, you should be okay just using Fedora - we do. You just have to get
your bio apps separately (e.g. from NCBI or EBI) and then you can just
preinstall them on all your machines - that saves even more time.

Condor installation takes minutes and it works out of the box usually.
It's a great example of how good open software can be if it has matured
over a number of years (since 1989 in this case).

If you want I can give you our config files - that would save you time.
With our config files we force our jobs to run always (regardless of
user activity) because our cluster is pretty much dedicated to running
jobs at the moment, with only the occasional unsuspecting student
wandering in.... :-)

cheers
Micha