[Bioclusters] 64-bit libraries for 32-bit application?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Jul 19 20:40:28 EDT 2005

Hi Simon

Vsevolod (Simon) Ilyushchenko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an x86_64 bit machine that mounts a share with 32-bit programs.
> Is it possible to run a 32-bit application (R) when certain libraries
> that this application requires (libreadline) are only present in the
> 64-bit version?

Not without something called a "thunking layer".  These are methods that
map between ABIs.  The 32 bit compatibility libraries use something akin
to this.  As no one has developed an R thunking layer that I am aware
of, I presume that the answer is no.

Generally speaking, without this mapping, you cannot link two disparate
ABI's together (e.g. ia32 and AMD64/x86_64).

> I suspect the answer to my question is no, but I'd like to hear a
> confirmation from more experienced people.
>
> Thanks,
> Simon

Joe

--