[Bioclusters] Memory Usage for Blast - question

Dinanath Sulakhe sulakhe at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 9 18:23:51 EST 2005

At 05:06 PM 3/9/2005, Lucas Carey wrote:
>Hi Dina,
>I don't know how many of the results you actually need. You may free up
>some memory by limiting e-value, returned results, and aligned results.
>blastall -e 0.0001 -b 25 -v 25

would limiting the e-value and other parameters reduce the RAM usage??

>Another option, if you can limit Condor to a single job per machine, would
>be to run 'blastall -a 2' to use both CPUs with only one process.

These jobs are assigned by the scheduler. Initially i had used '-a 2'
option, but when this job is running on a node, the scheduler would assign
another job by some other user on the same node, assuming the other
processor to be free, but then blast would starve the other job. So we
can't use 'a -n' option here.

Thanks,
Dina