[Bioclusters] About an Xserve cluster

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed May 11 14:58:02 EDT 2005

Check out this URL:

http://www.apple.com/server/documentation/

In particular I really love this PDF called "Mac OS X Server Command
Line Administration" and it is at this URL:  http://images.apple.com/
server/pdfs/Command_Line_v10.4.pdf

The above PDF has everything you need to configure your network
devices via the command line.  It can be cryptic but it works.

Apple finally got to the point where 100% if GUI based activities can
also be done via a command-line which is great for clusters and
systems like headless Xserves where you may be doing stuff via SSH or
serial console.  Some things can be a royal pain but they do work.

Also -- Apple has some very easy to use graphical admin tools (One of
the main ones is called ServerAdmin). The GUI tools make it very easy
to configure server settings and things like NFS shares etc.

The formal "Apple approved" way to do this sort of configuration
stuff is through ServerAdmin. The command-line methods are for the
hardcore and for fallback situations like connections via the Xserve
serial port.

Regards,
Chris