[Bioclusters] Announce: User-centric Grid Engine mini-course (October 21 / Boston MA)

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Sep 14 15:29:21 EDT 2005

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the commercial nature of this message but I think it is
on-topic for this list. I've long talked about a need for user-
centric SGE training focused more on "how do I get work done" rather
than "how do I administer this thing..." and I've finally been told
to put up or shut up :) The end result is a bit of an experiment to
see if anyone is actually interested in such things.  The plan (for
now) is a 1-day seminar just to test the waters.

Anyway, details are below. Feel free to pass this along or contact me
directly with any questions.

Regards,
Chris

1-day Technical Training Seminar ::: "Grid Engine 6 - Intro & Usage"
       Friday, October 21, 2005 - Boston, Massachusetts

Intended Audience:

Anyone interested in a user-centric view of distributed computing
with Grid Engine. Note: this is not an advanced operator/admin course.

Our goal is to help users, application integrators and developers
understand Grid Engine features and capabilities in a way that allows
them to become more productive at home. New SGE cluster operators or
administrators also may benefit from the user and usage-centric
perspective.

The seminar will be taught with a life science informatics focus,
using bioinformatics workflows and applications as examples. As Grid
Engine usage and configuration patterns can differ significantly
between disciplines and industries, interested non-life-science
attendees should contact us in advance to determine if this seminar
will be a good fit.

Time and Location:

Session  I: Friday, October 21, 2005, 9:30am - 4:30pm (12 attendees
max.)
Location: Newbury Street, Boston MA USA
            (Boston's historic back bay neighborhood) **
Cost: $895 USD

Scope:

The seminar will use the open source Sun Grid Engine 6 product from
http://gridengine.sunsource.net. Features specific to the Sun N1
product stack or the commercially branded Sun N1 Grid Engine 6 will
not be formally covered.

Difficulty:

No Grid Engine experience necessary but attendees should be
comfortable with Linux and a bit of shell/perl scripting. The seminar
is targeted towards new or moderately experienced Grid Engine users.
Individuals with advanced Grid Engine skills will not gain much from
this 1-day seminar - we are considering offering future sessions
targeted specifically at advanced audiences.

Seminar Outline (draft):

I. Clustering Overview
II. Grid Problem Types
- SGE for High Throughput vs SGE for High Performance
III. Distributed Resource Management
- Overview
- What it provides
IV. How Grid Engine Works
- Job Types
- Resource Allocation
- Policies
- Tickets
- Architecture
- Scheduling
V. Basic Usage
- Running Jobs
- Checking Status
- Troubleshooting
VI. Advanced Usage
- Resource requests
- Job Arrays
- Job Dependencies
- Simple Workflows
- Parallel Environments
- Loose vs Tight parallel environment integration
- Understanding resources & the SGE complex
VII. Policy Based Resource Allocation
- Overview
- How it works
- Effect on end-users
- Commonly seen implementations
VIII. Grid Engine Application Integration
- Standalone applications & web front-ends
- Parallel applications
- Licensed applications

Misc:

Each seminar will be limited to no more than 12 participants.
Attendees will have their own small Grid Engine 6.0u6 instance that
they can use throughout the seminar. Example and demonstration code
will be provided covering key topics and features.

Requirements:

Attendees should bring a functional, networkable notebook computer
(wireless and wired ports will be available). Minimal system
requirements include a web browser and SSH client. X11 client
software is desirable but not required.

Contact:

Chris Dagdigian, <chris at bioteam.net>, 617-877-5498, iChat/AOL-IM:
'bioteamdag'

** If the class fills to 12 confirmed registratons we may move the
seminar location to nearby Cambridge, MA where larger training rooms
are available. Our "go or no go" deadline for registration is
September 30th.