[Bioclusters] Re: Rsync and NCBI and bio-mirror.net

Steve O bub at io.com
Thu Feb 2 01:57:14 EST 2006

Hi,
After messing around for a while trying to optimize the ncbi downloads,
I realized independent of the rsync costs that simply FTPing the
formatted files was the best bet.  Even that was a bit tricky since the
files might change while you're downloading them.  I no longer have to
deal with this problem, but what I wished at the time was that some
brave soul, perhaps bio-mirror, would offer a bit torrent of, say,
Monday's snapshot of a file.  Then every subsequent day, a bit torrent
would be offered of the diffs of the unpacked file vs. the previous
unpacked version.  Sites that wished to keep up with daily changes could
apply the patches, while less critical applications could just get the
weekly distribution.  Running a bit torrent client would require server
resources, but the actual load on your servers should be reduced
significantly.

-steve