[Bioclusters] Admins / node?

Christopher Dwan cdwan at bioteam.net
Thu Feb 2 09:50:50 EST 2006

Question on the state of the art in cluster management:

Approximately what level of dedicated support do folks on this list
have / wish you have for your clusters?  Obviously, there are a lot
of free variables, including but not limited to:

* Does the support person also do development, parallelization, or
otherwise *use* the cluster?

* Do their other responsibilities come from the IT side or the
research side (i.e:  Are we dedicating half of a unix admin, or half
of a postdoc?)

* How many users are being supported, and to what level?

Setting aside these and similar details that would make for valid,
comparable numbers, my gut feel is that a reasonable guess is one
half time IT person for the first fifty nodes or so.  I think it
scales logarithmically from there:   So, go up to an entire full time
person for 50 - 150, and add support staff incrementally as the
cluster becomes more huge.

-Chris Dwan