[Bioclusters] SGI Altix benchmarking whitepaper

Chris Dagdigian chris at bioteam.net
Mon Feb 6 10:19:00 EST 2006

I'm sure that many of you also got the marketing email today entitled
"SGI Altix outperforms AMD Dual-core Opteron
Systems".

Have not read the paper yet, just passing along the actual URL  to
the paper ...

Skipping the intro and setup pages, the actual PDF is here:

http://www.sgi.com/pdfs/3905.pdf

Excerpt:

> Standard benchmark test cases from the following chemistry
> applications were used:
> • Gaussian 03 rev C.02 (Gaussian)
> • DMol3 from Accelrys® Materials Studio® (Accelrys)
> • CASTEP from Accelrys Materials Studio (Accelrys)
> • VASP (University of Vienna),
> • NAMD (University of Illinois at Urbana Champagne),
> • Sander (Amber), and
> • PMEMD (Amber)

> Results of the tests revealed that the SGI Altix 330 using shared
> memory and unmatched I/O throughput achieved superior
> performance and ran faster than twice the number of cores in
> comparable AMD dual core Opteron-based systems.
> In addition, a Parallel Throughput System test revealed that the
> SGI Altix 330 built on SGI NUMAflex™ architecture experienced
> only 1% degradation in performance when running Gaussian
> test397 on a fully loaded system (24.4 minutes on a fully loaded
> system compared to 24.1 minutes in a stand alone test) as compared
> to a 33% degradation in performance for the comparable
> AMD dual core Opteron-based system (71 minutes on a fully
> loaded system compared to 53 minutes in a stand alone test).

Regards,
Chris