[Bioclusters] SGI Altix benchmarking whitepaper

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Feb 7 12:41:36 EST 2006

On 7 Feb 2006, at 4:10 pm, J.W. Bizzaro wrote:

> Farul Mohd. Ghazali wrote:
>> I haven't looked recently but the Tyan VX50 based 16-core Opterons
>> cost less
>> than that (maybe $50k?)
>
> 8 Way AMD Opteron™ 880 - Dual Core 2.4GHz CPU (940-E)
> £ 19,700.00 (about $34k US)
>
> http://www.armari.com/system.asp?SysID=336

That system does only have 4GB of RAM, which is a bit paltry compared
to what the 16-way Altix will have, to be fair.  But nevertheless,
that's a competitive box.  Once you configure 2GB of memory per core
(which is our usual choice), a decent SCSI disk controller or a FC
HBA, it becomes quite a bit more expensive at around £30k, but that's
still a pretty good price.

Of course what it's missing compared to the Altix or the (much more
pricey) HP servers is any form of lights-out management, as far as I
can tell, which makes it pretty much a non-starter.  Some of the
other servers they offer seem to, though (IPMI, anyway, if not remote
console)

Tim

--
Dr Tim Cutts
Informatics Systems Group, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute