[Bioclusters] Ruby Queue

Lee Watkins lwatkins at cidr.jhmi.edu
Fri Feb 10 13:33:33 EST 2006

Tony Travis wrote:

>The Linux Journal article cited by Andy is entitled "Linux Clustering
>with Ruby Queue: Small Is Beautiful - Using Ruby and SQLite to create
>Linux clusters that take advantage of idle nodes and bypass expensive
>software solutions"
>
>In it, Ara T. Howard says:
>
>"...I had evaluated several packages, such as openMosix and Sun's Grid
>Engine, but ultimately had decided against them."
>
>SGE and openMosix aren't 'expensive' software solutions, they're free!

Maybe Ara meant that he had evaluated other free solutions and wasn't
satisfied, so rather than evaluate/acquire commercial "expensive
software solutions" he built exactly what he needed and called it Ruby
Queue.  But there's still expense because time is dear.

--

Lee Watkins, Jr.
Director of Bioinformatics

lwatkins at jhu.edu | www.cidr.jhmi.edu