[Bioclusters] SGI Altix benchmarking whitepaper

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Feb 10 14:14:55 EST 2006

Tim Cutts wrote:

>> 8 Way AMD Opteron™ 880 - Dual Core 2.4GHz CPU (940-E)
>> £ 19,700.00 (about $34k US)
>>
>> http://www.armari.com/system.asp?SysID=336
>

> That system does only have 4GB of RAM, which is a bit paltry compared
> to what the 16-way Altix will have, to be fair.  But nevertheless,
> that's a competitive box.  Once you configure 2GB of memory per core
> (which is our usual choice), a decent SCSI disk controller or a FC  HBA,
> it becomes quite a bit more expensive at around £30k, but that's  still
> a pretty good price.

As I remember, you can put up to 256GB of ram in a 8-way dual core box.
It will, of course, cost you some ...

> Of course what it's missing compared to the Altix or the (much more
> pricey) HP servers is any form of lights-out management, as far as I
> can tell, which makes it pretty much a non-starter.  Some of the  other
> servers they offer seem to, though (IPMI, anyway, if not remote  console)

All of the units we work with/sell have LOM as a requirement.  The iWill
units have it, the Newisys (basis for Sun v20z), the MSI (basis for the
IBM e326), ...  I think the HP is a modified iWill, but it is IPMI 2.0.
  Supermicro is doing this as well.  LOM isn't an issue in most cases
for these.  A working SOL over IPMI is, but then again very few people
have that working right anyway.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO