[Bioclusters] FPGA in bioinformatics clusters (again?)

Tirath Ramdas Tirath.Ramdas at eng.monash.edu.au
Mon Feb 13 03:06:16 EST 2006

Hi all,

On 12/02/2006, at 12:39 AM, Amar Shan wrote:

> <...>

> Joe Landman's comment about the complexity of programming FPGAs is
> fair, but
> there are a lot of good tools coming on the market which simplify
> the task.

Furthermore, comparing the development of an FPGA-based processing
solution to *installation and configuration* of software solutions
may not be very fair. Developing scientific software tools is
generally hard too.

But my thinking is this: if the FPGAs (and support hardware like RAM)
are already there and the interconnects are there, then it stands to
reason that off-the-shelf cores would proliferate in strategic
application domains -- and the bioinformatics community would be the
first to benefit from the emergence of such a development and
distribution model... well, maybe second after the "black helicopter
brigade's" crypto departments ;-).

These cores could then be downloaded and installed with minimal end-
user mucking around, and certainly almost NO hardware design. Take
this for example:

http://wiki.ittc.ku.edu/rcblast/Download

Of course there's compatibility sludge to wade through right now...
but that's sortable.

Hypothesis: FPGA core == "a different kind of software, for a
different kind of computer".

Comments? [Should probably be sent off-list since this is stretching
the mandate of Bioclusters.]

-tirath