[Bioclusters] Condor cluster and BLAST

David Adelson david.adelson at tamu.edu
Wed Jan 25 14:30:51 EST 2006

Paul,

If you are interested in all vs all comparisons there are other
tools, depending on what it is you are after.  if you want to find
things that have identical bits (overlaps,duplicates...) you might
want to consider MUMMER (see the TIGR software download web page or
sourceforge.net), which is super fast, gives you perfect matches,
snps, indels and such and will probably only need a single
workstation to run, even for thousands of sequences. The downside is
that you get no stats and the output format is "user indifferent" if
not downright "user hostile".  In spite of this I am a big fan of
MUMMER for these kinds of searches.  If you want to find the perfect
matches AND less than perfect matches, BLAT may work for you provided
you dial in the settings appropriately.  If you want the above and
some stats you probably should use a BLAST or FASTA.  If you have
time to spare and want the best stats for the alignments FASTA wins
hands down.

my 2c.

Dave Adelson, Texas A&M University

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's
too dark to read.

Groucho Marx