[Bioclusters] TeraGrid as a cost-effective replacement for local clusters

don gilbert gilbertd at indiana.edu
Wed Jul 12 14:18:38 EDT 2006

Dear bio-cluster users,

I'm working on general methods to use Grid systems, esp. US TeraGrid
as a replacement for maintaining your own local clusters in genome
analyses.
The general idea is to create a set of shared protocols and middleware
such that many groups can use shared grid systems for genome analyses,
rather than go thru the maintenance hassles of setting up and
maintaining
each one's own.    The Generic Model Organism Database project
(www.gmod.org)
will be a repository for this shared work, and we hope to have common
bioinformatics tools and data sets installed for genome work at
TeraGrid sites
E.g. like NC BioPortal, http://www.ncbiogrid.org/,  maybe in
collaboration with them --
their work is now mostly provides a web interface via Pise-Emboss-etc
with bio-datasets
  at TeraGrid sites.  For genome informatics, we expect to use mostly
command-line
type access.

See here for genome assembly and analyses on TeraGrid:
http://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/biogrid/genome-on-teragrid-poster.html
http://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/biogrid/teragrid-genomics06-proposal.pdf

Anyone interested in using such methods, please feel free to contact me.

- Don Gilbert

-- d.gilbert--bioinformatics--indiana-u--bloomington-in-47405
-- gilbertd at indiana.edu -- http://marmot.bio.indiana.edu/