[Bioclusters] Authentication for clusters

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Jun 26 22:49:13 EDT 2006

Hi Luigi

Luigi Manna wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am new on the list but not new with Bioclusters. I am trying to
> setup an authentication system for our 64 node cluster that integrates
> with our web services (all Apache/PHP based) and our desktop management
> (mix of XP, Mac OS X and Linux). At the moment there's no authentication
> platform for any of these (other then local files).

Hmmm...

> Is there a
> commercial solution that you might recommend that integrates
> authentication among all these plaforms ? I checked on Vintela and
> Novell but I wanted to know what other people are doing. I could just
> run a secure OpenLDAP but its management tools leave much to be
> desidered and our management prefers commercial tools for businees
> continuity purposes.

There are a variety of directory server products out there.  Fedora
Directory Server is available from RedHat.  LDAP with a nice java-ish
user interface.  Sun has a directory server available, as do Novell, and
many others, including Microsoft.  Linux,OSX,XP can/should be able to
integrate with all of these.  There are others as well.

Simply depends upon how hard you want to work, how much you want to
spend on fancy tools.