[Bioclusters] Authentication for clusters

Michael Edwards miedward at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 15:46:00 EDT 2006

http://www.idealx.com/downloads/samba3-ldap-howto.pdf

We used these tools to set up the Samba bits.  Setting up the
certificates and getting OpenLDAP to use them was the most difficult
part.  Using these tools, the samba set up was reasonably
straightforward.  As straightforward as Linux ever is, at least.

This also has the nicest management interface I have used, including a
couple of the comercial ones.  It is web based and is a nice
compromise of flexibility and ease of use.

I don't have very much Apple hardware so I did not look at their
directory package.

Even if you get a comercial solution, you're going to have to do some
hacking...  Windows is not designed to use LDAP directly, so you
either have to use some external package that adds that function (like
pGina, or Kerberos) or use something like Samba that translates things
into windows-speak.