[Bioclusters] Urgent advice on RAID design requested

Paul Rafferty paulrafferty at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 16 22:26:20 EST 2007

You didn't mention if outside of reliability issues, your FS4500
currently meets your performance requirements.  If it does, or is
adequate, make sure you buy as many physical disks for your new
storage array as you have now.  There is no substitute for spindles.

Drives fail most often on initial startup and during any rebuild -
especially SATA drives.  With SATA arrays I use only RAID 10 or
RAID6.  Unfortunately this tends to depress their cost per TB
advantage over SCSI and FC.   Enterprise SATA drives really don't
exist other than in a marketing glossy.

With respect to reliability - based on the HP quote containing one 8
port switch, I assume your hosts only have a single HBA in them?  Did
HP quote the MSA with the redundant controller option?   I have some
MSA storage in my environment and have no complaints.  However, we
have it all pretty well built out (lots and lots of 15k rpm drives)
with RAID 10.

Also, have you considered iSCSI options rather than FC based arrays?
This might help you put money into controllers/drives rather than
SFPs and fibre switches - assuming your network can handle jumbo frames.