[Bioclusters] Urgent advice on RAID design requested

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu Jan 18 10:05:12 EST 2007

Heh ... Chris beat me to it.

Chris Dagdigian wrote:

> Reliable? With a single power supply?  That may be a good home NAS box

Single points of failure do not reliable units make.  Our JackRabbit box
has N+1 powersupply configs, multiple redundant gigabit ethernets, and
lots of other goodies.

Reliable usually means redundant and at least resilient to single
failures.  RAID is *not* resilient (yes I know what the "R" stands for)
unless you have multiple paths to the disk such that a single controller
failure or single disk failure (or single network, or ...) takes away
your data.

Unfortunately it is very hard to do this "cheaply".  It can be
in-expensive, but you have to pick what features you want and which ones
you can live without.

For (smaller) clusters, unless you have other compelling business issues
on time-constrained access to data, often times a good NAS appliance may
be sufficient.  Unfortunately most NAS units do not scale in performance
(JackRabbit does, but I am resisting letting this message become a
commercial for it).  For better resilience, if your business case
demands it, replication of data across multiple units is usually a good
idea, so loss of single boxes (iSCSI bricks or JackRabbit) does not
impact data accessibility.

You can get cheap or reliable.  You get to pick one (today).  Usually
you get to pick reliable or fast, but you can have both with the right
product.

Joe

--

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com
phone: +1 734 786 8423
fax  : +1 734 786 8452 or +1 866 888 3112
cell : +1 734 612 4615