[Bioclusters] Urgent advice on RAID design requested

George Magklaras georgios at biotek.uio.no
Fri Jan 19 09:54:38 EST 2007

I would start by commenting on the following aspect that you mentioned:
> Our sysadmin is
>> really overloaded and would prefer something that does not suck up all her
>> time in maintenance and configuration.

I know of no SAN technology that does not suck up a substantial portion
of sysadmin time :-) , especially when it comes to something that is
point and click and has all the reliability features. If your sysadmin
is overloaded and you throw him the task of monitoring an entirely new
technology in the production environment, be very afraid of the amount
of time your sysadmin will need to devote. If you run a one or two man
shop, you might need either extra consultancy services from your chosen
vendor (pointing to the budget), or temp extra man power to disengage
your sys admin from already established duties, so he can feel
comfortable enough to play with the new kit and establish the production
baseline. Don't believe in point and click interfaces that make wonders
and put everything on auto pilot, or expert monitoring interfaces that
make sense.

Now, about the equipment. Capacity-wise you mention more or less 4
Tbytes. For SAN standards that is not really very big, to justify a
technology switch (RAID/NAS/DAS ---> SAN). If projections (that you do
not mention) say it will jump to tenths of Tbytes within the next 24
months, then yes, do go to a SAN solution. Alternatively, if within the
next couple of years you are going to be well under the 10 Tbyte limit,
chained configurations of SAS/SATA controllers do exist in the market
that offer both adequate levels of redundancy if they are duplicated
(typical scenario RAID BOX 1 at location 1 >-----> rsync <----> RAID
BOX2 at location2), without the extra expense of SAN replication protocols.
When we passed that limit, we looked at SANs.

In addition, whether you need and how you define your config parameters
(RAID level at disk layer, fabric connects, replication paramaters) will
also depend on the actual applications. Capacity is one factor, but
average I/O performance, number of IOPS (I/O ops per sec) are also
important parameters of workload characterization. Flat file
environments typically need stripes (RAID 10) at controller level, but
again how you choose to spread them and connect them to file system
parameters (block size, number of inodes, or other SAN FS parameters)
can vary if you choose to do formatting and allow say massive FTP-ing or
file syncing from the same volumes simultaneously. What I suggest you do
is get your sys admin to perform a base line of current activity using
tools like iostat, vmstat or other relevant sys performance toolkits,
and ask the vendor to comment on what would be the equivalent ones on
the SAN kit/new box or let them get you a "try and buy" deal, before you
commit to choices for performance, beyond the "I consolidate, therefore
I gain" approach.

HP SAN kit tends to be good, especially at larger storage quantities.
For smaller based SANs or SAS/SATA solutions, have a look at EMC and
Dell, that have products for Linux.  I would stay clear (personal
opinion) of XSAN based kits from Apple. The experiences I had were not
good when it came to performance and file compatibility issues (even if
Apple claims it can talk to all sorts of Unices),  but excellent when it
came to user friendliness, which for me was not very helpful. There are
people in the UK that are large Apple server customers, especially in
the life science arena, that are aware of its limitations and probably
could say similar things.

If you would like more specific answers, you have to be more specific
about your exact workload. You mention flatfile storage. OK, but are you
going to be formatting them on the same volume, formatting them and
accessing them via FTP, number of simultaneous users on the access node?

Best Regards,
GM

George B. Magklaras

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX Systems Administrator
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://www.biotek.uio.no/

EMBnet Norway: http://www.biotek.uio.no/EMBNET/