[Bioclusters] mid range storage solutions

Luigi Manna manna at college.usc.edu
Sat Sep 29 13:39:11 EDT 2007

  32TB in a Raid 10 configuration in 7U of rack space and fast disks (I assume you mean at least 10Krpm) is not going to happen ! I don't even think it's physically possible with current SAS or FC disk sizes. A Sun Thumper, one of the densest storage server on the market will occupy 4U with 48 SATA (i.e. 7500 rpm) disks. 2 of those setup with iSCSI will exceed your 7U limitation and won't have fast disks. There's a similar solution fron Nexsan (SATA Beast I think it's called) but it's 21TB raw in 4U. If you can fit 2 thumpers in your racks with 48x750 GB drives each you'll have 33 TB in RAID 10 in 8U of rack space (2 drives in each thumper are used for the OS). I don't think you can do better then that.

Regards,

Luigi--

--

Luigi Manna