[Bioclusters] Suggestions requested on HPC.

George Magklaras georgios at biotek.uio.no
Mon Aug 4 05:53:15 EDT 2008

I can't give you specific suggestions unless you tell me a bit about the
scale of your envisaged molecular modeling and docking (size of data
set, number of cores, etc). So, in a very abstract way, my view is that
performance is often independent of the large brands and more dependent
on the local sysadmin resources and how good they work with the work
developers. This is true for small to moderate scale (500 cores say)
installation and for filesystems whose size can fit well within the
limits of DAS (directly attached storage, as opposed to fiber channel
and other storage solutions). You could find very good deals with
independent smaller scale hardware manufacturers at a fraction of the
cost of the big boys. However, if your envisaged scale exceeds the
moderate level and/or your simulation requires some sort of bespoke
interconnect, then the big boys might have more resources to deal with
annoying driver issues and help your local resources get more juice out
of your setup.

GM

George Magklaras

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios