[Bioclusters] SMP system for bioinformatics apps

steve slitster at rcn.com
Sat Sep 20 09:40:58 EDT 2008

This is certainly not meant to be an endorsement of any technology, but
we have recently (within the last 6 months) had a number updates from
vendors.

The latest chip from Intel is supposed to surpass the AMD offering and
I'm sure they'd be more than willing to give you an update as to why. We
are actually waiting until early next year before upgrading our current
clusters, so we can benchmark the latest offerings from both companies.

In addition we had an interesting demo from Dell yesterday on their
scaleMP offering, I'd drop them a line and checkout the benchmarks they
have for Blast on this system (sorry I can't distribute the benchmarks)

I'd also be very interested in hearing from anyone running
bioinformatics  apps  on the Cell processor?

Cheers

Steve