[Bioclusters] Cloudburst deployed as a service on Amazon Web Services Elastic Map Reduce - Re: Google uncloaks once-secret server

Russell Jurney russell.jurney at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 12:00:48 EDT 2009

Well, if we're talking map/reduce (google) today, we should probably
talk about Michael Shatz's CloudBurst (RMAP) being rolled by Amazon
Web Services as a service, available as a pre-configured job type in
its new ElasticMapReduce service.

The announcement: http://aws.amazon.com/elasticmapreduce/
Cloudburst on ElasticMapReduce: http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/entry.jspa?externalID=2272&categoryID=263
Cloudburst Project: http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/cloudburst-bio/index.php?title=CloudBurst
Cloudburt Paper: http://www.cs.umd.edu/Grad/scholarlypapers/papers/MichaelSchatz.pdf
Cloudburst Author: http://www.cbcb.umd.edu/~mschatz/

I just ran the example search on 10 medium EC2 instances in 7 minutes
for $2.  Launched the job in 15 seconds.  I played with the same thing
on my own using EC2 and Hadoop on Monday and it took me hours to get
it working.

Major development.

Russell Jurney
russell.jurney at gmail.com