[Bioclusters] BLAST speed mystery

Georgios Magklaras georgios at biotek.uio.no
Sat Feb 20 15:12:47 EST 2010

In general, I tend to use iozone (http://www.iozone.org/) to measure
IOPS before I put cluster nodes into production. I assume that your
BLAST versions between the G4 and the new server (Linux?) environment
are the same.

Doing a vm_stat (on MACOSX) and vmstat (Linux) during the BLAST op (both
precached and with est_mouse cached) can give you rough figures of disk
throughput and buffer cache (yes, having more stripes is useful, but
something else might be happening)

However, it would be useful to give us software (OS/kernel version) and
hardware (RAID controller) versions on your new servers.

GM