symbol class and sequence class (was: [Biococoa-dev] Annotation)

Koen van der Drift kvddrift at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 21 20:23:05 EST 2005

On Feb 21, 2005, at 8:09 PM, Charles PARNOT wrote:

> OK, I see... I suspected something like this!
>
> So, does that mean we will need a 'initWithSymbolArray:symbolSet:'?

Probably, but not essential, I think. It would be nice, though if the
user already knows what type of sequence she is creating. In other case
we should use sequenceTypeForString to determine the symbolset. As you
can see in BCSymbolSet, there are many interesting variations possible,
eg dnaSymbolSet vs. dnaStrictSymbolSet. The latter only allows ACGT,
the former all possible nucleotides. So it maybe can also be used
instead of the skippingUnknownSymbols variable.