[Biococoa-dev] WWDC

Koen van der Drift kvddrift at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 18 20:02:24 EDT 2005

On Jun 12, 2005, at 10:07 AM, Peter Schols wrote:

> The presentation was quite short and without demos as we did not have
> a projector. We displayed the presentation on a 30" display in the
> science connection. The presentation was more intended as a general
> introduction to start the discussion. Some good point were raised
> during discussion, e.g. about performance (where do we go for easy
> Obj-C and when do we have to choose fast C?) and about choices we have
> to make (do we target BC towards sequence analysis or towards genome
> annotation). These two points were raised by non-BC people. I think
> the remainder of the points raised were from BC people and were things
> that we already touched on on the list. I had to leave the discussion
> a bit early, however, (due to the design awards) so I can't comment on
> all points.

Ahh,

finally back online :)

First, Peter, congrats with your award! There seems to be a lot of
talent in the Benelux :)

Anyway, back to WWDC and the BioCocoa meeting. Are there any
'decisions' made during the WWDC? I'm sure you guys discussed a lot, so
there must be some thughts, new insights, input from others, etc? Was
the meeting useful? Please give some more insight to those few poor
suckers who couldn't make it :)

In the meantime I have been thinking a little about the current
structure of classes. With the new classes that have been added by
Phillip, and the upcoming modification classes, I think we can add a
new superclass, namely BCObject.  We cannot let BCAtom, or
BCModification subclass from BCSymbol. However, these classes also have
a name, character, mass, etc. So it seems logical to create a
superclass, from which all the building blocks can derive. I have
created a small UML file in OmniGraffle to illustarte this. However, I
have no clue where to put BCResidue. Phillip, could you elaborate on
what you intended with this class?

Similarly, Phillip's sequence classes need to be in sync with the
BCSequence class cluster. I also created a UML file for this. There is
BCSequenceStructure, BCChain, etc.

Any ideas anyone?

the two UML files are attached in a zip file.

cheers,

- Koen.