[Biophp-dev] BOSC 2003 Brisbane

S Clark biophp-dev@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 20:31:03 -0600

Hello again!

On Wednesday 02 July 2003 07:21 pm, Serge Gregorio wrote:
[...]
> Sean, haven't seen the new CVS at SF yet, as I'm using WebCVS (which reads
> from their not-so-updated backup server)...  =(

It's there "underneath", but sourceforge's CVS system still seems pretty
far behind on updating webCVS.  I've been also keeping the CVS at
bioinformatics.org updated with the same code, so you can see anything there
(the webcvs there seems to alway be up to date...)
(You may be able to configure CVS on windows to use the "putty.exe" program
[free windows implementation of ssh] to get around the difficulties connecting
at bioinformatics.org and sourceforge directly.  I've only used it once
[borrowed someone's windows machine while on vacation to check email] but
it seemed to work... Putty is at
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ )

Do you have any code updates that need to go in?  In particular, has
the core seq object code been changed at all since last update?

[...]
> Greg, care to share with us what happened to your presentation (of BioPHP
> among other things) at BOSC, Brisbane?

Yeah, how'd that go?  And what does it cost to attend - maybe next year
one or more of us can go and do a presentation using what by then ought
to be quite a useful set of code...

> Got this from the open-bio.org website (obviously from a participant):
> >So you are actually bringing in science with your >rambling and
> > potentially contributing to a quality discussion about research articles.
> > The only bad >thing is that words like BIOPHP [emphasis mine] pop >up.
> > What happened to Biopython. Dueling it out PHP >versus Python. Whoah,
> > this is really degenerating. I >need a better filter on my brain.
>
> Duh???

Obviously written by someone who hasn't clued in to the facts that languages
have different strengths, and that open, friendly competition makes everyone's
projects better...("Dueling it out?"  No more so than Perl vs Python....)
I'll refrain from commenting on their grammar...

(Is BOSC an annual thing, and is it always in the same place?)