[Biophp-dev] Re: front end blast

S Clark biophp-dev@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 22:00:57 -0700

This has been very confusing - but I am wondering if perhaps you haven't
got the right type of database files for the BLASTALL.EXE program?

It just sunk in as I re-read your last couple of emails that you are giving=
 a=20
"(something).txt" file as your database name - are you trying to use a plain
=46ASTA file for a BLAST database?

If so, I don't think that works.  There is a utility that converts the FASTA
file into a set of BLAST database files, which should all have the same
"database name" but with different file extensions.  So, if spopuri.txt is =
a=20
=46ASTA file of text sequences, you should use the "formatdb" (I guess this=
=20
would be "formatdb.exe" on windows) to convert the txt file to a set of BLA=
ST
database files - the command would be something like:

formatdb -i spopuri.txt -p F -n spopuri

(I am not 100% certain I have that command right, so you may need to
double-check in the documentation to make sure I'm not wrong about that)

Then when you call the blast frontend, the database name should just
be called "spopuri" (without the file extensions).  Then, the command
that the BLAST frontend should be trying to run would look something like:

C:\blast\blastall.exe -p 'blastn' -d 'spopuri' -i 'C:\WINDOWS\Temp\BQF273.T=
MP'=20
=2D -o 'C:\WINDOWS\Temp\BRF274.TMP' -v '25' -b '25' -T 'T'

Other than that, I don't THINK there is anything wrong with the output file=
 -
this file is created outside of PHP by the blastall program, not by PHP
itself.  The PHP frontend is only choosing what the filename will be (so th=
at
it will know what file to look in for the results when blastall.exe finishes
running).

Does any of that information help?  If not, I think the only thing left
that I can think of to try will be for me to create a "test" set of BLAST
database files and a specific "test" query to run, and I can try putting
that up where you can download it and try it out. =20

I am HOPING it is just a database format issue, though.  Let me know!

Sean