[Genquire-dev] GO bug fixed, another bug soon coming down the pipe

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson@gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Mon, 04 Feb 2002 14:08:07 -0600

Hi all,

I just committed a change to the GO annotation routines that prevents that
confusing (but harmless) duplication of the GO annotations.  That was the last
major bug that I could find... The  version currently sitting in the CVS
repository should be as close to bug-free as it has ever been!

BUT!!  Ewan has decided that the Blast.pm module from BioPerl is going to be
discarded from the BioPerl repository soon.  Genquire uses this module both to
do its internal CGI blasting, as well as Blasts from the plugin.  I am currently
coding Genquire to use one of the other Blast parsing modules available in
BioPerl (preferably SearchIO, since this seems to be the most likely to survive
long-term), but sadly there is a bug in that module, so we are caught building
castles on shifting sand, as usual...

I'll post a message to all users when the next update needs to be made.
Hopefully there will be a 1.0 release of BioPerl within a couple of weeks and we
will never have to worry about these kinds of things again :-)

Cheers!

"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."

Dr. Mark Wilkinson
Bioinformatics Group