[ghemical-devel] New Molecular Editor links

Geoff Hutchison geoff at geoffhutchison.net
Wed Jan 26 15:26:52 EST 2005

Hi guys,

I ran across two new open source molecular editors recently.

GAMGI - General Atomistic Modelling Graphic Interface
http://gamgi.org/

Gabedit - a GUI to Gaussian, Molcas, Molpro, and MPQC using Gtk+
http://lasim.univ-lyon1.fr/allouche/gabedit/

GAMGI looks like it's in very early development, but offers some
interesting features as far as adding text and other objects to a
scene. Gabedit has a *lot* of features, though the rendering is pretty
crude and sometimes the interface is a little strange.

Maybe some "cross-pollination" between Ghemical and some other editors
might help. I'm doing some heavy work on Open Babel right now, but I'd
like to work on supporting QM data in Babel "real soon now," which
would make it easier for programs like Ghemical to import eigenvectors,
cubes, etc. from other QM packages.

Cheers,
-Geoff