[ghemical-devel] Re: Ghemical

Geoffrey Hutchison geoff at geoffhutchison.net
Mon Apr 3 10:50:30 EDT 2006

Ciao Francesco,

I'm forwarding your message to the Ghemical mailing list and will
make a few comments. I certainly appreciate your feedback -- it's
good to hear from users. (By the way, what do you describe as "large"
molecules? 40-50 atoms? More?)

I agree with the difficulty in running DFT jobs under MPQC in
Ghemical right now. One workaround, obviously is to use the "export"
feature to write an MPQC input file directly. This has the advantage
of running a batch of MPQC jobs on another computer (which is what I
usually do with GAMESS or MPQC).

You mention "lack of a modern molecular mechanics program" for
"reasonably minimized conformers." I'm not sure what you mean -- I've
done Monte Carlo conformer searching using Ghemical and found pretty
reasonable conformers. In fact, I think the MC searching algorithm in
Ghemical is pretty good -- often finding better candidates than other
programs. While Ghemical doesn't offer tons of MM force fields, I
think its MM parameters are pretty decent.

I'm not sure when the Ghemical-2.0 release will happen, but I suspect
that Michael Banck will try to get a Debian package fairly soon --
he's one of the developers of Ghemical too.

Best regards,
-Geoff