[Molvis-list] Jmol version 10.00 - RELEASED

Miguel miguel at jmol.org
Fri Dec 17 16:29:52 EST 2004

Jmol version 10.00 was officially released on Friday 17 December 2004.

I encourage you to visit http://www.jmol.org, download it, and take a look
at it.

Jmol is now a viable, fully functional, high performance, open source
replacement for the Chime plugin.

Those of you who have made investments in RasMol/Chime scripts over the
years should now take a serious look at Jmol ... especially those of who
who have build web tutorials and applications around the Chime plugin.

On a personal note ...

I have been working on this release full-time for two years ... so this is
clearly a very important milestone for me.

And I believe that it is important for the molecular visualization
community. Those of you who have made investments in RasMol/Chime scripts,
and especially in Chime web courseware, now have a migration path to an
open source alternative, an applet written in Java, that does not require
installation on the client, that runs on most major web browsers.

I undertook this project under the encouragement of Dr. Jose Luis Lopez
Perez at the University of Salamanca. Those who will use Jmol and benefit
from it owe Jose Luis a debt of gratitude. !Gracias amigo!

Miguel