[Molvis-list] adding hydrogens to a pdb file

Jeff Cohlberg cohlberg at csulb.edu
Wed Jan 19 13:37:01 EST 2005

Another difference:  When I use the file 1AB9 (chymotrypsin with bound
pentapeptide) and look at the charge relay system (asp102, his57,
ser195), WHAT IF puts both the histidine and the serine in the
protonated form, and REDUCE puts both in the unprotonated form.  Of
course the protonation state depends on what stage of the catalytic
cycle you're in, but at no stage are both the histidine and serine
protonated.  Anyway, I find this difference curious -- apparently the
different programs use different criteria for deciding which residues to
protonate.

Jeff