[Molvis-list] "New" Chime bug: MODELS vs. CONECT records

Eric Martz emartz at microbio.umass.edu
Fri Apr 15 13:38:45 EDT 2005

Dear Inbal,

Your observations, plus more of my own, show that we have discovered a bug
in Chime that I did not know about: It appears (see below) that when
MODEL/ENDMDL records are used, Chime fails to obey CONECT records.

I have not come up with a solution in Chime. I am quite sure that MDL will
not fix this bug even if we ask them.

But this is why many people, especially Miguel Howard, have spent so much
time on jmol! (www.jmol.org) jmol should be able to do exactly what you
want -- and if not (or if there are bugs) someone (probably Miguel) will
fix them! (In addition, it will work on linux and native OSX/Safari as well
as all Chime-compatible browsers.) So I think if you switch to jmol, you
can acheive your goals.

Chime also supports XYZ format for multiple models, and (unlike NMR-PDB
format, has built-in support for animation). XYZ format is appropriate for
small/inorganic molecules but not for proteins or nucleic acids (because it
has no way to specify the position of an element in a group (e.g. CA =
Carbon Alpha in PDB format) nor the group to which an atom belongs (so no
amino acids nor nucleotides). I have no experience with XYZ format so I
cannot tell you if you can get the bond display you want in Chime with XYZ.

Here are my observations in Chime:

Your model of sulfur hexafluoride specifies six S-F bonds but no F-F bonds.
By default, with your two model file, Chime shows the unwanted F-F bonds.

When a single model is extracted from your 2-model PDB file (WITHOUT
MODEL/ENDMDL records)
Chime behaves correctly. By default, it shows only the S-F bonds. This is
because, when the number of bonds specified in CONECT records is equal to
or greater than (number of ATOMs + number of HETATMs - number of chains),
Chime goes automatically into "set connect false" mode, showing only the
bonds specified by CONECT records, not the bonds Chime normally calculates
for proteins based on interatomic distances. This is all documented at
http://www.umass.edu/microbio/rasmol/rasbonds.htm

(Removing a single CONECT record correctly makes Chime default to showing
the F-F bonds; entering "set connect false" before loading correctly makes
Chime show only the 5 remaining S-F bonds.)

However, when the single model is enclosed between MODEL 1/ENDMDL records
(still only one model present) Chime shows the unwanted F-F bonds (so is
failing to go into "set connect false" mode). Further, if you issue an
explicit "set connect false" command before loading the model, NO bonds are
shown. This is a second bug -- failure to process CONECT records when even
a single MODEL record is present. The same behavior is seen with your
original 2-model PDB file.

The only possible workaround I thought of was to load the model with "load
nmrpdb filename.pdb" but that failed to correct either problem.

Sincerely, -Eric

/* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eric Martz, Professor Emeritus, Dept Microbiology
U Mass, Amherst -- http://www.umass.edu/molvis/martz

Protein Explorer - 3D Visualization: http://proteinexplorer.org
Workshops: http://www.umass.edu/molvis/workshop
Biochem Structure Tutorials http://MolviZ.org
World Index of Molecular Visualization Resources: http://molvisindex.org
ConSurf - Find Conserved Patches in Proteins: http://consurf.tau.ac.il
Atlas of Macromolecules: http://molvis.sdsc.edu/atlas/atlas.htm
PDB Lite Macromolecule Finder: http://pdblite.org
Molecular Visualization EMail List (molvis-list):