[Molvis-list] rasmol "Unable to find RasMol help file!"

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Thu May 26 07:45:15 EDT 2005

I am sure this is a common problem, but I couldn't find the answer on any
FAQ or in the (recent) archive of this mailing list.

I am running rasmol from "~/bin/rasmol", which is in my $PATH (linux
system) and also contains the "rasmol.hlp" file downloaded from

or more specifically

However, even in this location, which is suggested here

I still get the message "Unable to find RasMol help file!". This is quite
frustrating, as the manual

ofter refers to the help system, here for example...

I found that if I copy the "rasmol.hlp" file into the directory I am
currently in it is found by rasmol, however, this is unsatisfactory as I
invoke rasmol from any directory I am working in.

Is there a specific system directory that rasmol also searches for the
help file? (/usr/share/ for example?). Could there be a $RASMOLHELPFILE
environment variable (or similar) that I don't know about?

I find information on this topic hard to find.

Ahhh... I just found it!

"5) Install rasmol.hlp as /usr/local/lib/rasmol/rasmol.hlp (or at a
 loctaion indicated by the environment variable RASMOLPATH)."

Although copying rasmol.hlp to the above location does not help, and
nither does setting $RASMOLPATH! Still "Unable to find RasMol help file!".

Any suggestions?