[Molvis-list] Molecular Movies

Elmar Krieger elmar at cmbi.ru.nl
Wed Jun 8 10:49:43 EDT 2005

Hi Clare,

molecular movies are a speciality of the freely available 'YASARA View' (
http://www.yasara.org ).
A built-in scripting language allows you to create animations at all levels of
complexity, examples can be downloaded from http://www.yasara.org/movies
You can save the movie frames as PNGs and then convert them to MPEG using tools
like ImageMagick. The movie frames can also be ray-traced using PovRay, so that
you get realistic shadows.

If you decide to support YASARA development and go for the non-free 'YASARA
Model', you gain functions to create MPEGs directly in YASARA and include text
and images into your molecular animations.

Best regards,
Elmar

clare sansom wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Apologies if this is a FAQ...
>
> I have been asked by some collaborators of mine, who are protein
> crystallographers, to advise about the best combination of software
> packages for the production of MPG (or similar) movies to show aspects of
> protein structure and function. I have tried several ways of doing this
> over the last few years, but I'm not particularly happy with any of them,
> and I would appreciate any advice from list members. I don't know what
> platforms they use, but I imagine that they will have access to at least
> Linux and Windows, and probably SGI as well.
>
> Thank you very much in advance!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Dr. Clare Sansom
> c.sansom at mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk
> Teaching Fellow, Birkbeck College, London, UK
> Freelance computer consultant and science writer
>

>--
Elmar Krieger, PhD
YASARA Biosciences & CMBI Outstation Austria
Neue-Welt-Hoehe 13/b
A-8042 Graz
Austria/Europe

                 Ww