[Molvis-list] FirstGlance in Jmol: new version

Eric Martz emartz at microbio.umass.edu
Tue Feb 14 14:42:58 EST 2006

At 2/13/06, Joan L. Slonczewski wrote:
>These models are very nice.  A formatting suggestion; the brain processes
>text faster at right, and images faster at left.  I find the image-left
>arrangement more effective.

Interesting comment, Joan. My early versions of Protein Explorer had the
molecule on the left. I had a chance to watch an eminent author of a
popular biochemistry text sit down and see PE for the first time. He looked
for something to click on the left, not on the right. I decided that most
users will look for the first thing to click at the upper left corner,
following left-to-right reading (for many but not all languages). That one
experience convinced me to always put the first thing a user should click
near the upper left. That is my rationale for the layout of FirstGlance in
Jmol.

Protein Explorer still has an advanced option to show the molecule on the
left. You have to set the Advanced Startup Option (on the FrontDoor),
Window Size, to Manual Adjust. Then you have this option as a checkbox
before the application loads.

Regards, -Eric

/* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eric Martz, Professor Emeritus, Dept Microbiology
U Mass, Amherst -- http://www.umass.edu/molvis/martz

Biochem 3D Education Resources http://MolviZ.org
See 3D Molecules, Install Nothing! - http://firstglance.jmol.org
Protein Explorer - 3D Visualization: http://proteinexplorer.org
Workshops: http://workshops.proteinexplorer.org
World Index of Molecular Visualization Resources: http://molvisindex.org
ConSurf - Find Conserved Patches in Proteins: http://consurf.tau.ac.il
Atlas of Macromolecules: http://atlas.proteinexplorer.org
PDB Lite Macromolecule Finder: http://pdblite.org
Molecular Visualization EMail List (molvis-list):