[Molvis-list] Local PDB files don't display in Chime/Firefox

Eric Martz emartz at microbio.umass.edu
Sun Jul 23 20:44:31 EDT 2006

I have a vexing, persistent Chime/Firefox configuration problem that I hope
someone can help me fix.

THE PROBLEM

On one of my computers (but none of the others), local .pdb files fail to
display in Chime in Firefox. This problem prevents
local/developing/downloaded MolSlides from showing molecules. (Chime is
invoked but remains blank and the MDL frank disappears). When you drag a
.pdb file and drop it onto Firefox, Firefox shows an "Open or Save?"
dialog, with Internet Explorer as the default "Open" application. If you
try to tell that dialog to "Open in Firefox", you just get an endless
sequence of such "Open or Save" dialogs. This problem does not prevent
Chime from showing pdb files from on-line sources -- only pdb files on the
local disk can't be displayed. Local pdb files dragged and dropped into
Internet Explorer display in Chime just fine -- but IE doesn't work for
MolSlide development.

ATTEMPTS TO FIX THE PROBLEM

1. CAUSE UNKNOWN

I don't know why the problem arose on this one computer, but on none of my
others. I have seen the same problem on a computer in the lab of a
colleague, and again, the problem occurred only one of several computers
there. The problem seems to be quite unusual, as I have only seen it twice
among perhaps fifty computers in diverse labs in the USA and Japan.

2. FILE TYPES

The Windows "File Types" list specifies that PDB files are to be opened in
Internet Explorer, both on computers without the problem and the one with
the problem. The PDB setting under "File Types" appears to be identical on
all computers. I have deleted this PDB entry and re-created it by
installing Chime into IE, to no avail. I have also tried specifying here
that Firefox should open PDB files, to no avail.

3. OTHER BROWSERS

I had installed many different browsers on this computer. I uninstalled all
of them (except IE which can't be uninstalled) to no avail.

Besides browsers, and burning CD's and DVD's, I have used this particular
Windows XP SP2 installation very little.

4. UNINSTALL, REINSTALL

I have uninstalled and reinstalled both Firefox (current version 1.5.0.4)
and Chime, in both orders, to no avail. Chime (file npchime.dll) remains
behind in "Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins", surviving uninstallation
and reinstallation of Firefox. So I tried deleting the otherwise largely
empty "Mozilla Firefox" directory tree after uninstalling, before
reinstalling -- also to no avail.

When I speak of installing Chime, I mean both in Internet Explorer (where
installation is automatic), and in Firefox, where I install Chime manually
by copying the single file npchime.dll from the IE plugins directory to the
Firefox plugins directory.

4. COMPARISON OF FIREFOX INSTALLATIONS

I have two Windows XP SP2 installations, one with the problem and one
without. I compared the entire "Program Files\Mozilla Firefox" file trees
looking for some configuration difference (notably in one of the
configuration files such as all.js or firefox.js) but did not find
anything. There were only a handful of differences and none seemed to be
related to PDB files. This leads me to suspect that the problem is in the
Windows Registry, because I don't know of any other configuration files
that might be involved.

5. WINDOWS REGISTRY

I have searched the Windows Registry for "pdb", "firefox", and "chemical"
(as in "chemical/x-pdb") and deleted anything that looked suspicious. The
problem computer still boots without complaint but the problem persists.

Next, I compared the entire exported registries from the problem computer,
vs. another without the problem (both Windows XP SP2). There are two many
differences to look at them all, but I looked at all the differences
related to "pdb". I found four differences. I changed the registry in the
problem computer to agree with the working computer regarding these four
differences. Then, even after rebooting, and verifying that the changes
"stuck", the problem remained.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, or if you have seen this
problem (with or without being able to fix it).

Sincerely, -Eric

/* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eric Martz, Professor Emeritus, Dept Microbiology
U Mass, Amherst -- http://www.umass.edu/molvis/martz

Biochem 3D Education Resources http://MolviZ.org
See 3D Molecules, Install Nothing! - http://firstglance.jmol.org
Protein Explorer - 3D Visualization: http://proteinexplorer.org
Workshops: http://workshops.proteinexplorer.org
World Index of Molecular Visualization Resources: http://molvisindex.org
ConSurf - Find Conserved Patches in Proteins: http://consurf.tau.ac.il
Atlas of Macromolecules: http://atlas.proteinexplorer.org
PDB Lite Macromolecule Finder: http://pdblite.org
Molecular Visualization EMail List (molvis-list):