[Molvis-list] Advice on software

Herbert J. Bernstein yaya at bernstein-plus-sons.com
Tue Oct 10 20:21:39 EDT 2006

With X11 installed, RasMol seems to run on newer Macs.  If there is a
specific configuration that is causing a problem, please let me know.

Mamoru Yamanishi is working on a version of RasMol that starts nicely by
double-clicking and has a native feel on file selection under OS-X.
The X11 subsystem is needed, but the package is easy to use.

On the other side of things -- an MS Windows version with support for
Russian messages and menus translated by Gregory A. Pozhvanov is
being tested.

If you are interested in participating in testing these kits, please
contact me.

   -- H. J. Bernstein
      yaya at bernstein-plus-sons.com

P.S.  Eric Martz is right about jmol being a very good program.  It is
preferable to Chime.

At 10:18 AM -0400 10/10/06, Joel Kowit wrote:
>Subject: [Molvis-list] Advice on software
>freeware" <molvis-list at bioinformatics.org>
>
>Hi.  For some time now I've used RasMol and Chime in introductory biology
>lab for molecular visualizations and basic analysis of proteins.  It seems
>that RasMol is not compatible with new Macs, and there are some excellent
>Chime tutorials that are not compatible with Firefox or IE.  My Mac
>students are using iMol.  Other than downloading Netscape 4.x for the PCs,
>  I'd appreciate suggestions on more recent software that is compatibile
>with Chime tutorials and will allow protein analysis and movie making, and
>maybe have more capabilities.  Thanks.
>
>Joel Kowit
>Biology
>Emmanuel College