[Molvis-list] Molecular visualisation software and RSI

clare sansom c.sansom at mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk
Fri Feb 9 11:35:30 EST 2007

Hello,

I am one of the developers of the Internet based courses at Birkbeck
College, London, one of which - Principles of Protein Structure - makes
extensive use of molecular visualisation software (Jmol and to some extent
Rasmol).

We have a student on this course this year who has quite severe repetitive
strain injury and finds using his hands extremely painful. He uses voice
recognition software but is having great difficulty getting this to work
with the visualisation programs we use. They are, as you can guess, an
integral part of the course.

I would be very interested to know of experiences any of you have had of
the use of molecular visualisation software - either these packages, or others
- by people with limited use of their hands - so we can figure out how we
can help him best. We don't want to lose a bright and motivated student...

Many thanks for your help,

Best wishes

Dr. Clare Sansom
c.sansom at mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk
Teaching Fellow, Birkbeck College, London, UK
Freelance bioinformatics consultant and science writer